Friday, August 13, 2004

Lotus Geek: Do you feel it? Do you see it? The future's so bright...

Lotus Geek: Do you feel it? Do you see it? The future's so bright... "I am a huge fan of the Google News aggregator site - I think it is the best compiled news site on the Web. One of the ancilliary features of this site is the News Alerts feature. You simply give it keywords to search for, and you will receive a daily email with news items containing your keywords. I have alerts set up for "Lotus", "Lotus Notes", and "Lotus Domino". I tell you this because over the last few months the news I have been receiving about Lotus Notes/Domino has given me reason to be extremely optimistic.
...
I have been watching these alerts for the last few months, and I have to tell you that you would be shocked at the number of third-party products being released, every day, for Lotus Notes. And an even more telling sign is that many existing products that were built to support Outlook/Exchange only are now being modified/ported to support Lotus Notes/Domino. I see announcements for security products, PDAs, content management, and so on all the time for Notes/Domino, and this is a good thing.
Another trend I am noticing is there are many, many positive news stories on Lotus Notes/Domino - and I don't mean the marketing/fluff pieces we all expect, but more articles that are in non-technology publications that mention new and innovative uses of Notes/Domino in successful projects. I see these types of stories every day, and I have to tell you it is really making me feel good about my career choices.
So, please indulge me in this moment of optimistic reflection and observation. I believe that we are in the midst of a renaissance of Lotus Notes/Domino in the marketplace, and I really do feel that the future is so bright I gotta wear shades."

No comments: