Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Untangling the Microsoft mesh | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

Another timely Mary Jo Foley reality check; see the full article for more analysis/hypotheses

“Mesh” was Microsoft Chief Software Architect Ray Ozzie’s word of the day last week at Microsoft’s Mix ‘08 conference. Ozzie waxed prolific on “social mesh,” “device mesh,” “seamless mesh” and more.

But what are the technological underpinnings that will allow users and developers to bring everything together into “your own personal device mesh with the Web”? How will the unified device management that “will enable your devices to report into a common service for status, for help, to report their location,” in Ozzie’s words, come into being?

I suspect my daily activities are already pretty high on the mesh-o-meter, as I currently rely on FolderShare, Groove, and Notes to keep my digital stuff in sync across multiple PCs.  My phone, at this point, is just a phone, and my portable media player probably qualifies as an antique (and is rarely used)...  I'm looking forward to a device refresh in a few months, when my AT&T Wireless contract goes from upgrade-hostile to upgrade-incentive...

Untangling the Microsoft mesh | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

No comments: