Saturday, July 10, 2010

Exploring the BDC Metadata Schema - Eric White's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

An interesting OneNote usage scenario; see the link below to download and explore the content

I’m currently in the process of writing a couple of MSDN articles on creating more advanced associations using BCS, such as creating a one-to-many association where you don’t have a foreign key, and creating many-to-many associations.  In both of these scenarios, you need to edit the BCS model directly. As I was wrapping my head around the BCS metadata schema, I thought it would be helpful to me to use an outlining tool to explore the schema.  OneNote 2010 has the best outlining tool that I've ever used.  It has the necessary capability of collapsing and expanding nodes, promoting and demoting nodes, and moving nodes around by dragging/dropping.  In addition, you can place tables at any node, and then format those tables as you like.  I put together a OneNote page that contains the elements and attributes of the BCS metadata schema. Being able to expand and contract the nodes enabled me to see the big picture.  I made links back to the MSDN documentation topics, so it is easy to navigate to the documentation for each element, attribute, and property.

Exploring the BDC Metadata Schema - Eric White's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

No comments: